This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.802 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.9681 / 4°58'5"W
OS Eastings: 195453
OS Northings: 215646
OS Grid: SM954156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLCG
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZY0
Entry Name: ,5,Victoria Place,,Haverfordwest,,SA61 2JX
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87073
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row Nos 1-17 Victoria Place.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Part of a development at the entrance of the town by William Owen including the New Bridge and two terraces facing each other, now Nos 1 to 17 Victoria Place, completed in 1839. Part of the terrace, especially the eastern end, may date from before then. (See early C19 prints). The town improvements began as a result of a special Act of Parliament of 1835, but the terraces were named in commemoration of the accession of Queen Victoria in June 1837. The N terrace is plainer than that on the S which is of 19 bays with giant pilasters framing narrow alternate bays with arched doorways. Houses are mostly two-bay with narrow entrance bay to right, but No 1 differs, with canted corner to Quay St. No 7, Lloyds Bank, was two houses, much altered in 1893. No 9 was the centre with the date plaque 1839. Nos 15 and 17 are joined, No 17 with a chamfered corner and elevation to the river.
No 5 has a plaque recording it as the early home of Augustus John, born 1878 to Edwin John, solicitor, but it is suggested that this is an error for No 7. In 1926 it was occupied by Edwyn Arthur John, bookseller.
Terraced house, now commercial premises, painted stucco, with slate roof behind parapet and red brick left end stack. Three storeys, two-bay front with giant pilasters framing narrow right bay (left pilaster actually part of No 3). Pilasters have simple stepped caps and plinths. Entablature over with deep frieze and simple cornice, broken forward over right bay, parapet over, also broken forward. Windows are sashes with narrow marginal panes: narrower to the entrance bay and longer on the first floor than above. Ground floor main bay has large square shop window of 16 fixed panes and narrower window (former door) of 8-panes to right. To the left, the arched house entry with marginal glazing to radiating bar fanlight, and modern six-panel part-glazed door.
Blue plaque on pier to left of door recording that the painter Augustus John was born here in 1878 and lived here until he was five.
Ground floor altered.
Included for its special architectural interest as part of a good classical stuccoed terrace, Nos 1-17 Victoria Place.
Other nearby listed buildings