This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8021 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.9676 / 4°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 195488
OS Northings: 215663
OS Grid: SM954156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLGP
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.VY6W
Entry Name: ,13,Victoria Place,,Haverfordwest,,SA61 2JX
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87077
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row Nos 1-17 Victoria Place, two properties to left of Lloyds Bank.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Part of a development at the entrance of the town by William Owen including the New Bridge and two terraces facing each other, now Nos 1 to 17 Victoria Place, completed in 1839. Part of the terrace, especially the eastern end, may date from before then. (See early C19 prints). The town improvements began as a result of a special Act of Parliament of 1835, but the terraces were named in commemoration of the accession of Queen Victoria in June 1837. The N terrace is plainer than that on the S which is of 19 bays with giant pilasters framing narrow alternate bays with arched doorways. Houses are mostly two-bay with narrow entrance bay to right, but No 1 differs, with canted corner to Quay St. No 7, Lloyds Bank, originally two houses, was much altered in 1893. No 9 was the centre with the date plaque 1839. Nos 15 and 17 are joined, No 17 with a chamfered corner and elevation to the river. No 13 was occupied by Ethel McKenzie, toy dealer in 1926.
Terraced house, now commercial premises, painted stucco, with slate mansard roof behind parapet and red brick left end stack. Three storeys, two-bay front with giant pilasters framing narrow right bay (right pilaster actually part of No 11) and pilaster to left (part of pair of pilasters framing entry to No 15). Pilasters have simple stepped caps and plinths, entablature with deep frieze and simple cornice, broken forward over left pier and narrow right bay. Parapet also broken forward over narrow bay and left end pier. Windows are sashes with narrow marginal panes: narrower to the entrance bay and longer on the first floor than above. Ground floor main bay has square centre window with moulding over. Tripartite small-paned window, of original type 4-12-4-pane. To the right, the arched doorway with plain fanlight over original heavy two-panel door.
Ground floor altered but original stair survives with thin continuous rail, square balusters and turned newel. Plain open tread ends.
Included for its special architectural interest as part of a good classical stuccoed terrace, Nos 1-17 Victoria Place.
Other nearby listed buildings