This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7791 / 51°46'44"N
Longitude: -2.9905 / 2°59'25"W
OS Eastings: 331763
OS Northings: 209398
OS Grid: SO317093
Mapcode National: GBR F6.Z4TV
Mapcode Global: VH79F.3KX0
Entry Name: Hall Monument
Listing Date: 9 December 2005
Last Amended: 9 December 2005
Source ID: 87159
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set within the Hall monument enclosure against the churchyard wall to the south-west of the church.
Community: Llanover (Llanofer)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
c1870, probably soon after Sir Benjamin Hall's death in 1868, and said to be to his own design. Unaltered since apart from the addition of the seat (qv). Sir Benjamin Hall was responsible for building up the Llanover estate in the early/mid C19 and is remembered in the name of the bell in St. Stephen's Tower at the Palace of Westminister.
Built of Forest of Dean sandstone and oak, with wrought iron railings. A large enclosure of spear-head railings is against the west wall of the churchyard. The railings are tall, about 1.6m, with vases on the main stanchions and four panels to each side. There are double gates on both north and south sides. The enclosure contains a very large sarcophagus in the form of a table tomb of gothic design which stands on a stone plinth. The tomb is 3 x 1 bays and is about 2m in height. The east end carries a large and well carved achievement of the Llanover arms inscribed above 'LANOVER ABERCARN' The long sides have quatrefoil panels with a central coat-of-arms and flanking inscriptions. The west end has an oak door carved with a quatrefoil containing a coat-of-arms. All three sides have partly failed inscriptions in Welsh and English. Moulded cornice and a ridge down the centre of the top.
Included for its special interest as a fine monument to an important local landowner and notable Victorian politician. It also has strong group value with the adjoining church.
Other nearby listed buildings