This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5603 / 52°33'37"N
Longitude: -3.1493 / 3°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 322181
OS Northings: 296454
OS Grid: SO221964
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CTHK
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.LXJ1
Entry Name: Llwyn Cottage
Listing Date: 19 July 1950
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87229
Location: Situated attached to rear of Rock House, facing S.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Rear wing to Rock House, mid to later C18. Marked on 1833 map as owned by the Powis estate and on 1839 Tithe map as occupied by Eleanor Brian. The ground floor is equivalent to first floor of Rock House, due to slope.
House, red brick, Flemish bond, with dentilled brick eaves and slate roof. Massive brick chimney on roof slope to right on join to Rock House. Basement, two storeys and attic, three bays, two set close to left, one to right. Two sloping eaves dormers with iron casement pairs. Cambered-headed windows with brick voussoirs and iron cross windows set close to wall face. Narrow cross window in left bay over door, with wider blank window immediately right over similar width iron cross-window. Similar iron cross-window each floor to right, over cambered-headed basement window. Door is six-panel with four panels glazed, four-pane overlight, in architrave with consoles under horizontal moulded brackets carrying flat hood. Rendered W end gable with C20 inserted window each floor. Rear wall has sloping dormer, with brick dentilled eaves, two-storey lean-to to right with C20 added lean-to to ground floor.
NE ground floor room with two chamfered beams and unchamfered joists. Two old doors in SW wall, one old door in NW wall, and narrow door in SE wall. Front ground floor room with two square beams. Oak stair, mostly with turned balusters but with flat slatted balusters at the top. In attic, old wooden boarded doors and exposed timber-framed partition.
Included with Rock House as prominent mid Georgian house retaining good external character and some nterior features.
Other nearby listed buildings