This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5611 / 52°33'39"N
Longitude: -3.1477 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 322293
OS Northings: 296537
OS Grid: SO222965
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CMPR
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MW9G
Entry Name: Cartref
Listing Date: 30 March 1983
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87234
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row attached to No 2 Brynhyfryd.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
House in terraced row, earlier C18, apparently added to Nos 1-2 Brynhyfryd. The red brick was colourwashed when listed in 1983 and the windows have been changed since. Marked on 1833 map as owned by William Nathaniel Davies of Bronwylfa, and on 1839 tithe map as owned by William Davies, occupied by Thomas Solely.
Terraced house, red brick laid in English bond, with dentilled brick eaves continuous with No2 Brynhyfryd, and roof of old slates with tall brick end stacks, the left one shared with No 2 Brynhyfryd, the right one with Victoria Buildings. One and a half storeys with cellar. A piece of rubble stone with straight joint to the brickwork at extreme left of ground floor suggests an earlier building on site of No 2 Brynhyfryd. Double-fronted with centre doorway flanked by windows with cambered heads. C20 uPVC windows in pattern of the small-paned cross-windows removed since 1983. Two stone steps up to two-panel door with similar head in bead-moulded doorframe, and metal gabled hood on shaped wooden brackets. Similar eaves-breaking upper windows, also replaced since 1983 in uPVC, under small bargeboarded gables. Rubble stone rear wall has cross-window with iron opening light to right, single casement left.
Ground floor rooms have chamfered beams. N wall fireplace with timber elliptical-arched surround (similar to one in Myrtle House, Bishops Castle St). S room has wall cupboard with panelled door to right of fireplace on S wall, two-panel door to entrance hall, plank door with strap hinges to rear hall. Oak winding staircase with square balusters and narrow handrail to short landing railing. Two two-panel doors and one plank door at first floor. Off the N room is a tiny NW room. Attic stair with similar rail turns at right angles. Roof has one truss with partition and two purlins each side.
From rear, stone steps down to semi-basement kitchen with oak beams. A section of curving massive rubble wall inside of and parallel to W rear wall may be from an older structure. Fireplace on N wall.
Included notwithstanding loss of detail externally as a brick-fronted smaller C18 house, with good interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings