This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5645 / 52°33'52"N
Longitude: -3.1448 / 3°8'41"W
OS Eastings: 322494
OS Northings: 296914
OS Grid: SO224969
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CGDV
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.NSNV
Entry Name: Gatepiers, garden wall and railings to Plas Offa
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87237
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on roadside with gatepiers to left of front garden wall and railings.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Pair of massive gatepiers to the former Mongomery County Gaol, whose main entrance was here before Gaol Road was made in the 1860s. There are two similar gatepiers, moved to the Presbyterian Church in Princes Street when it was built in 1885. The gaol closed in 1878 and stones from the cell blocks were allegedly used by W.G. James to build Plas Offa c1880.
Two massive gatepiers in sandstone. Square bases, monolith shafts with inset necks and cross-gabled caps. Attached massive inner gatestops with scrolled tops. To right spearhead iron low railings on squared stone low walls, with tall matching centre iron gate in line with front door, with spearhead dogbars and urn-capped standards.
Included as a pair of gatepiers of historical interest as belonging to the former County Gaol. With the garden wall and railings they are part of a group with Plas Offa.
Other nearby listed buildings