This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5621 / 52°33'43"N
Longitude: -3.1476 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 322300
OS Northings: 296653
OS Grid: SO223966
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CMQG
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MVBN
Entry Name: Gatepiers, wall and railings to Montgomery Presbyterian Church
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87238
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on roadside in front of the chapel.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Gatepiers and railings to Presbyterian Church of 1885, the chapel designed by Richard Owens of Liverpool. The two gatepiers are earlier to mid C19 monoliths of sandstone, apparently from a set of four to the Montgomery Gaol, closed in 1878. Two others remain on original driveway, now entrance to Plas Offa, Chirbury Road.
Gatepiers flanked by walls with iron railings. The piers have plain plinths, monolith above with plain
stopped chamfers to angles of shaft, then recessed neck under a cross-gabled top. The walls are retaining walls of square tooled blocks with chamfered ashlar coping carrying ornate cast-iron rails with leafs at the bottom and scrolls at the top of each alternate upright and Gothic finials above the top rail, each alternate one taller and larger. Railings stop against stone pier to left and short length of rubble wall to right. Matching tall double gates with the same motif repeated on two levels with bottom and mid-rail of quatrefoils. The piers carry an iron overthrow with three wrought-iron curved rails to which are applied cast-iron stars.
Included for the unusually ornate ironwork, the historic interest of the former gaol gatepiers and for group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings