This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5605 / 52°33'37"N
Longitude: -3.1465 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 322374
OS Northings: 296470
OS Grid: SO223964
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CVBB
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MWWX
Entry Name: Humphreys Memorial in churchyard
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87240
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in SE corner of churchyard.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Large urn topped memorial to members of the Humphreys family of Bank House from 1798 to 1876, probably earlier C19.
Memorial, sandstone, neo-classical style with large urn on pedestal. Pedestal, frieze and cornice are a monolith, on separate moulded plinth. Frieze with raised roundels, moulded cornice. Pedestal plaques have incised borders with quadrant rebates to corners. Stepped top with square pyramidal base to large urn, gadrooned to lower part, flared, with gadrooned lip. Inscription on E side to Charles Gardner Humphreys, died 1862, lieutenant with 14th Light Dragoons in Peninsular War, medal with seven clasps for Salamanca to Toulouse campaign. S side inscription to Charles Gardner Humphreys, solicitor, died 1803, and Elizabeth his wife died 1819. N side inscription to Elizabeth Humphreys died 1798 aged 7, Mary died 1815 aged 20. W side to Richard Humphreys, died 1876.
Included as handsome neo-classical memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings