History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Myrtle House

A Grade II Listed Building in Montgomery, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.56 / 52°33'36"N

Longitude: -3.1477 / 3°8'51"W

OS Eastings: 322293

OS Northings: 296415

OS Grid: SO222964

Mapcode National: GBR B0.CV06

Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MX99

Entry Name: Myrtle House

Listing Date: 30 March 1983

Last Amended: 16 December 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87252

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in terraced row, opposite Castle Street Garage.

County: Powys

Town: Montgomery

Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)

Community: Montgomery

Built-Up Area: Montgomery

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Montgomery

History

Middle house of row of three, built as a single house, matching No 4, but for many years subdivided, now restored as one. The brickwork of Nos 2-3 and No 4 looks C18 but the top floor and the whole of No 1 is of different colour, presumably an earlier C19 remodelling of a two-storey row of mid to later C18 date. The row is said to be a converted malthouse. It is marked on the 1833 map as owned with Bronwylfa, Broad Street by William Nathaniel Davies, surgeon. This house may be marked as two on 1839 tithe map, owned by William Davies, occupied by Richard Dolphin and John Owen. The street is locally known as Castle Street.

Exterior

Terraced house, dark red brick laid in Flemish bond, with different coloured brick to top floor, which has nogged brick eaves, slate roof with left end brick stack. Three storeys and cellars, double-fronted with central doorway. Rubble stone plinth. Cambered brick heads to large 12-pane horned sashes to ground and first floors, flat-headed square 6-pane top windows, the heads breaking into base of eaves. Central door with stone step and boot-scraper. Door with four fielded panels and row of three glass top panels in moulded timber architrave with flat hood on shaped brackets. Basement vent to left.
Rear wall of rubble stone with iron leaded casement pair to top floor left, cambered-headed 12-pane sash below, and tiny cambered headed window to centre first floor. Right side is stepped out in line with rear of No 4 with brick quoins to left, iron casement pair to top floor and 12-pane window with cambered head to first floor.

Interior

Interior not inspected. Said to have beams as in No 4 and S side kitchen fireplace with boarded curved-headed surround and spit-rack over. When it was two houses there were two doors off the hall passageway and two staircases.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as terraced house of C18 date altered in C19, with good Georgian character and detail.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.