This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5603 / 52°33'37"N
Longitude: -3.1503 / 3°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 322114
OS Northings: 296451
OS Grid: SO221964
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CT6K
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.LX12
Entry Name: No. 2 Castle Terrace
Listing Date: 30 March 1983
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87257
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on hillside above the Market Square.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Part of a terrace of three houses on the site of, and probably including structure from the first county gaol, built c1735. It is thought that the premises were larger and that there was a gaoler's house opposite now gone. Surveyed in 1774 by Thomas Pritchard it was found to be inadequate. There were then two dungeons, eight feet by seven with water running through. The gaol described in a report of 1803 is hard to equate with the present single three-storey range. It had a yard 44' x 32' for debtors, a day room 14' x 14' and a small bath room. Above were eight good sized rooms. There was a male felons yard with day room with eight cells each about 8'6" x 7' and 9'6" high. The women prisoners had a small yard, a day room with one sleeping cell on the ground floor and two bedrooms above. There was a large room over the gaol entrance used as a chapel and a small sick-room. It would thus appear to have been two-storey. A House of Correction was built on the Pool Road in the early C19, and the gaoler paid a salary for both establishments from 1816. The County Gaol was replaced in 1830-2 by the new gaol on Gaol Road. The present houses look c. 1830-40, marked as three houses on 1839 Tithe map, owned by the Powis estate, No 2 occupied by Mary Richards.
Mid-terrace house, red brick, garden-wall bond (different from Flemish bond of No 1), with deep-eaved slate roofs. Three storeys. The terrace comprises No 1, a house of two bays with door in third bay to left, No 2 a narrower house of two bays and No 3 a house at right angles across the N end. There is a partial straight joint between Nos 1 and 2 and some different brickwork in the S end gable of No 3 suggesting extensive modification.
No 2 has two casement-pair windows with iron small panes and hoodmoulds to each upper floor and a long iron casement pair with top lights and hoodmould to ground floor left and entrance to right, set slightly in from windows above. Doorway is in flat roofed porch on two plain wooden posts. Door-frame is moulded with angle blocks, ledged door with thin cover strips and two glass panels. There are cambered heads to the first floor windows concealed by the hoodmoulds. Rear is windowless over ground floor lean-to.
Interior not inspected.
Included as part of a prominent terraced row above the town, of historical interest as part of the C18 gaol, and with good early C19 detail.
Other nearby listed buildings