This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5632 / 52°33'47"N
Longitude: -3.1476 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 322306
OS Northings: 296774
OS Grid: SO223967
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CMQ2
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MTCT
Entry Name: No. 2 Cross Houses
Listing Date: 16 April 1982
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87259
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated the second cottage in row overlooking the Pound.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
End house of row of three timber-framed houses, probably late C17 or early C18, the back walls rebuilt in red brick in late C18 to early C19. The houses are marked on the 1833 map as owned by Charles Gardiner Humphreys of Bank House and on 1839 tithe map this house is occupied by Edward Tudor. An old photograph shows more regular square framing of four by eleven bays, c. 1910, the front wall of No 4 since rebuilt in brick and the windows all altered. No 1 has longer windows. Shown on OS map of 1975 as Cross Lanes.
Terraced house, one of row of three, timber-framed with timber of very slight scantling, and painted brick panels. The timber-framing painted over brickwork on No 4 which has timber-framed east gable. Slate roof with red brick stacks between Nos 2 and 3 and against E gable of No 4, rising through former bakehouse roof. Two storeys, each house of one-window range with doorway. Modern casement windows. No 2 has ledged door to extreme left, in oak frame and long casement pair window to centre each floor.
Rear has modern gabled brick addition.
Chamfered axial beam, brick fireplace, narrow wooden staircase to rear.
Included for its special historic interest as one of a row of three vernacular timber-framed houses, the thin scantling timber suggesting the end of the timber-framed tradition in this region.
Other nearby listed buildings