This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5632 / 52°33'47"N
Longitude: -3.1475 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 322310
OS Northings: 296775
OS Grid: SO223967
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CMR5
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MTDT
Entry Name: No. 3 Cross Houses
Listing Date: 16 April 1982
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87265
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated the third cottage in row overlooking the Pound.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Middle house of row of three timber-framed houses, probably late C17 or early C18, the back walls rebuilt in red brick in late C18 to early C19. The houses are marked on the 1833 map as owned by Charles Gardiner Humphreys of Bank House and on 1839 tithe map this house is occupied by David Evans. An old photograph shows more regular square framing of four by eleven bays, c. 1910, the front wall of No 4 since rebuilt in brick and the windows all altered. No 3 has longer windows. Shown on OS map of 1975 as Cross Lanes.
Terraced house, one of row of three, timber-framed with small scantling timber and painted brick panels. The timber-framing painted over brickwork on No 4 which has timber-framed east gable. Slate roof with red brick stacks between Nos 2 and 3 and against E gable of No 4, rising through former bakehouse roof. Two storeys, each house of one-window range with doorway. Modern casement windows. No 3 has ledged door to centre right with late C20 gabled slate hood, modern window to left and modern window to centre of first floor. Rear brick wall has iron casement pair each floor.
Interior not inspected.
Included notwithstanding loss of detail for its special historic interest as one of a row of three vernacular timber-framed houses, the thin scantling timber suggesting the end of this regional building tradition. .
Other nearby listed buildings