This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1139 / 53°6'50"N
Longitude: -3.313 / 3°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 312213
OS Northings: 358217
OS Grid: SJ122582
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.7ZP1
Mapcode Global: WH779.2ZNP
Entry Name: Clwyd Bank
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Last Amended: 12 July 2006
Source ID: 87313
Location: Located towards the lower part of the street
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Locality: Clwyd Street
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A large symmetrical C17 timber-framed building, originally with a lobby-entrance. Joseph David Jones, musician and composer, established the Clwyd Bank Academy here. At a later date, Clwyd Bank was a farm-house, with outbuildings, now garages, to the rear. The house is now divided.
32 and 34 Clwyd Street form a group.
Large 5-window range with central gabled porch wing, of 2 storeys with attics. Roughcast over timber-framing on a plinth, under a slate roof with central clustered brick stack. The W gable end is random stone, with a brick stack. To each side of the porch wing is a high gabled attic dormer with small triangular iron-glazed window, and scalloped barge boards. Rear, partly seen, is roughcast, with 3 gabled wings, that to centre probably C19, those flanking, late C20.
No 34 is located to the L of the porch wing and is a 2-window range with central entrance. The windows are small-pane horizontal sliding sashes with margin glazing, probably early C19. Entrance has late C20 half-glazed door with overlight, under a gabled porch canopy supported on narrow timber posts, with scalloped barge boards. Very small attic dormer with 2-light casement between larger dormer and porch wing. West gable end has inset small-pane window to R of ground floor. Single-storey wing continuous to L with small 2-light casement under segmental head of stone voussoirs. To rear, C20 gabled wing with doorway and small-pane top-hung windows. Fronting the house, and adjoining the former porch wing to R, are iron forecourt railings on a dressed stone plinth, with single gate opposite entrance.
Interior has 2-unit plan with C17 detail. Living room inside entrance has ceiling with 2 medium-chamfered spine-beams with ogee stops. Large fireplace to L, infilled with a modern fireplace. Opposite, box-framed partition with wattle and daub panels, and former doorway to L infilled with brick. Staircase reached by a corridor to rear of living room, effectively a winding stair to R of fireplace. Kitchen in C20 rear wing. First floor has medium-chamfered spine-beams and plain joists. Attic has substantial tie-beam trusses with cambered collars. The dormers are of small-scantling timber-framing, possibly C19.
Listed grade II* for its exceptional architectural interest as a large C17 timber-framed lobby-entrance town-house, retaining good detail, the symmetrical plan-form with central porch-wing suggesting an element of renaissance planning.
Other nearby listed buildings