This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1147 / 53°6'52"N
Longitude: -3.3087 / 3°18'31"W
OS Eastings: 312504
OS Northings: 358303
OS Grid: SJ125583
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7SXH
Mapcode Global: WH779.4ZQ2
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87355
Location: Set back on the pavement on Wynnstay Road, with Denbighshire County Council offices immediately to the NE.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Locality: Market Street & Wynnstay Road
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built c1920. The monument was originally surrounded by iron railings, with fine views of the Clwydian Hills to the rear. The rear railings were replaced by a stone wall later, when buildings blocked the view.
Celtic-cross style monument constructed of grey concrete resembling unpolished granite: tapering pillar surmounted by a wheel-cross decorated with inter-lace work, on a base with curved sides and stepped top moulding. The upper part of the pillar contains a blind arch with ropework surround, bearing a figure of St Michael in relief, and reading 'St Michael' below. The lower part of the pillar has an inverted dagger in relief, and interlace work; there is an inscription to each side reading: 'To the glory of God and in memory of those from this borough who fell in the war 1914-18, their name liveth forever more'. The base bears the names of the men who died. It is on a low square plinth with rounded corners which has an inscription across the front.
The monument is set within an enclosure bound by iron railings to the front and sides, and a curved stone wall to the rear. The cast iron railings have heavy plain uprights and additional rails beneath top rail and above bottom rail; square newel posts with domed finials; the rails are dentilled where they pass round the newel posts; single gates to N and S sides. The railings are on a low pecked stone plinth. Curved wall to rear, of snecked red sandstone with square end piers. Set into the wall are 3 granite tablets, those to L and R dedicated to those who died in World War II (1939-45); that to centre is to a soldier who died in the Falklands Campaign, 1982. Slate floor within enclosure.
Listed for its social-historic interest as a World War I memorial, well-preserved and with unusual detail.
Other nearby listed buildings