This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2816 / 53°16'53"N
Longitude: -3.8281 / 3°49'41"W
OS Eastings: 278213
OS Northings: 377627
OS Grid: SH782776
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZQH.0C
Mapcode Global: WH654.5SB4
Entry Name: Eagles Building (Fishermans Chip Shop and Carolina's Ice Cream)
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87382
Location: Fronting the street in a block of commercial and residential buildings.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Conwy
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the 2nd half of the C19 and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. The original occupant of the L-hand shop was Joseph Jones, butcher.
A 2-storey commercial range of shop and restaurant, of channelled rustication to the front, and slate roof with tile cresting and a C20 brick stack to the R of centre. The wider L-hand shop front (No 3, Fisherman's Chip Shop) has a central replacement half-glazed door and overlight. Tuscan pilasters frame original shop windows, which are large 4-pane sashes typical of butchers' shops, above which are iron grilles for ventilation, and an awning. The R-hand shop front (No 5, Carolina's Ice Cream) is modern, with half-glazed door and shop window, and modern fascia. The upper storey has 3 sash windows under dormer gables with moulded brick finials and ridge tiles. The central window has 4 over 2 panes in the upper sash, with single-pane lower sash. Outer windows are 2 over 1 pane. Flanking the central window are panels inscribed 'Eagles Building'.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved late C19 commercial building with an especially fine former butchers' shop front, and for its contribution to the historical townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings