This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2798 / 53°16'47"N
Longitude: -3.8319 / 3°49'54"W
OS Eastings: 277958
OS Northings: 377435
OS Grid: SH779774
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZPH.6Z
Mapcode Global: WH654.3TKH
Entry Name: Crucifixion and Stations of the Cross at St Michael's RC Church
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87416
Location: Immediately adjacent to the Town Walls and on the W and S sides of St Michael's Roman Catholic church.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Conwy
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Mid C20, the work of G. Rinvolucri, an Italian architect who came to Wales originally as a prisoner of war. He lived and worked in the conwy area, and designed several R.C. Churches in N. Wales. The church was built in the inter-war period as it is not shown on the 1913 Ordnance Survey. None of the sculptures is signed or dated, but all have dedications.
A mid C20 large sculpture in white marble of the crucifixion with the figures of the 2 Marys and John. It forms the 12th station of the cross. The first 11 and the 13th are square relief plaster casts against the Town Wall, and the 14th is on the W wall of St Michael's RC church.
Listed for its special interest as a fine mid C20 devotional scultpure forming the focus of a group of distinctive tablets, all of exceptional quality, on the medieval town wall.
Other nearby listed buildings