This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2853 / 53°17'7"N
Longitude: -3.81 / 3°48'35"W
OS Eastings: 279433
OS Northings: 378014
OS Grid: SH794780
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZTG.Y0
Mapcode Global: WH654.FPY7
Entry Name: Detached classroom block at Ysgol Maelgwyn
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87422
Location: In the school yard on the S side of the main school block.
Locality: Llandudno Junction
Built-Up Area: Llandudno Junction
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Maelgwyn Council School was built in 1907 (date on building). The detached classroom block was probably the infants' school, and is shown on the 1913 Ordnance Survey.
A 1-storey classroom block of pebble-dashed walls and half-hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. The front faces N to the school yard, where there is an outshut that has entrances in the end walls. These have half-glazed boarded doors. The outshut has replacement small-pane casement windows under 2 central gables, and smaller 12-pane sashes R and L. Other windows are mainly original small-pane horned sashes. The main range front has 2 triple 12-pane windows to the L of the outshut, and tripartite 18-pane window to the R under pivoting upper small-pane lights.
The E end wall has a 5-light small-pane window beneath the eaves. The W end wall has a tripartite 12-pane window flanked by single 16-pane windows, each with pivoting upper lights. In the S wall is an advanced gable with two 2-light windows, two 3-light windows to its R and four 2-light windows to its L, all with small-pane replacement glazing in earlier openings.
Listed for group value with main school block and forecourt wall and gates, forming a complete and well-preserved early C20 council school in the form and style favoured in the early twentieth century.
Other nearby listed buildings