This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3069 / 53°18'24"N
Longitude: -3.8126 / 3°48'45"W
OS Eastings: 279318
OS Northings: 380414
OS Grid: SH793804
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZT6.C9
Mapcode Global: WH654.D4PQ
Entry Name: Gate piers, gates, walls & railings at Llandudno Lodge
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87430
Location: On the SW side of Llandudno Lodge.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1881, contemporary with Llandudno Lodge, and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. It formed the entrance to a new NW drive to Gloddaeth Hall (now a school), home of Lady Augusta Mostyn. It was complemented by a SW drive, whose lodge is dated 1894, although both drives are now physically cut off from the remainder of the Gloddaeth Hall estate by the A470.
Square rock-faced gate piers have freestone quoins and pyramidal caps. Between them are 2 moulded gate posts, the L-hand with missing finial, and outer pedestrian wooden gates with iron bars. The central vehicular gate is missing. Snecked, rock-faced walls on both sides curve outwards to similar but lower and broader square terminal piers.
On the inner side is an attached L-pane forecourt wall to Llandudno Lodge. The forecourt has a dwarf wall with freestone coping. It has intermediate rectangular piers to the front and return, and square corner and gate piers with pyramidal caps. Arcaded cast iron railings have finials and are original, but the scrollwork iron gate is later. In the R-hand return the railings have been removed. An additional stone pier has been inserted to define a new path to the front door, although this section retains its original square terminal pier.
Listed as well-detailed gate piers, gates and walls complementing the setting of Llandudno Lodge, and contributing to the overall historical integrity of buildings associated with Gloddaeth Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings