History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates and gate piers at entrance to Capel Tabernacl

A Grade II Listed Building in Conwy, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.281 / 53°16'51"N

Longitude: -3.8308 / 3°49'50"W

OS Eastings: 278035

OS Northings: 377562

OS Grid: SH780775

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZPH.GL

Mapcode Global: WH654.4S3M

Entry Name: Gates and gate piers at entrance to Capel Tabernacl

Listing Date: 30 December 2005

Last Amended: 30 December 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87433

Location: Fronting the street on the S side of the chapel.

County: Conwy

Town: Conwy

Community: Conwy

Community: Conwy

Locality: Walled town

Built-Up Area: Conwy

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Deganwy

History

Built in 1885 when the chapel was remodelled, and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.

Exterior

Square rock-faced gate piers have freestone pyramidal caps. Iron gate posts have orb finials and cast iron gates have dog bars, scrollwork between the main bars, and scrolled cresting. Attached walls to the chapel approach are rubble stone with cement coping.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as well-detailed late C19 gates and piers and for group value with the chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Conwy Police Station
    Occupying the NW side of the square between Bangor Road and York Place.
  • II Alfredo Restaurant
    Facing the square at the N end continuous with York Place.
  • II* The Old Cockpit
    Set back from the street and reached by a path to the side of Alfredo Restaurant.
  • II House and G.H. Edwards Newsagents
    Prominently sited at the SW end of High Street, on the corner of Lancaster Square.
  • II Capel Tabernacl
    Set back from and at near right angles to the street behind a forecourt with gates, and backing on to Chapel Street.
  • II Pen-y-bryn tea rooms
    In a block of commercial and residential buildings at the SW end of High Street.
  • II House and Pantri Conwy Pantry
    In a block of commercial and residential buildings at the SW end of High Street.
  • II House and The Raj Restaurant
    The NW end of a block of commercial and residential buildings fronting the street on the S side of Lancaster Square.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.