This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2807 / 53°16'50"N
Longitude: -3.8318 / 3°49'54"W
OS Eastings: 277965
OS Northings: 377530
OS Grid: SH779775
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZPH.7P
Mapcode Global: WH654.3SLV
Entry Name: SE portal of Conwy Railway Tunnel
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87457
Location: Immediately W of Conwy station and directly beneath the E side of Upper Gate Street.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Conwy
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
On the Chester & Holyhead Railway, and built in 1845. Its chief engineer was Robert Stephenson, and contractor for the Conwy section was John Evans. Conwy tunnel was the site where the ceremonial first sod of the railway was cut on St David's Day, 1845. This section of the line opened in 1846.
Portal of snecked rock-faced stone with lighter grey tooled stone jambs and voussoirs to a round arch. A corbel table is at the base of the parapet, which also has 2 light-grey freestone bands (mostly obscured by vegetation at the time of survey). The stepped parapet has saddleback copings.
Listed for its special interest as a tunnel portal of definite mid C19 architectural character, one of a number of items contributing to the overall historical integrity of this section of the former Chester & Holyhead Railway.
Other nearby listed buildings