This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2813 / 53°16'52"N
Longitude: -3.8296 / 3°49'46"W
OS Eastings: 278115
OS Northings: 377594
OS Grid: SH781775
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZPH.PG
Mapcode Global: WH654.4SNC
Entry Name: Ye Olde Mailcoach public house
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87468
Location: Fronting the street in a block of buildings between Llewelyn Street and Crown Lane.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Conwy
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Early C20 and shown on the 1913 Ordnance Survey.
A 2½-storey 2-window public house with stylised Jacobean references, of whitened roughcast with imitation timber-framing painted black, slate roof and roughcast stack to the R. The framing incorporates diamond panels in the 1st floor and arched braces in the attic. The main recessed central entrance has half-glazed panel doors, under a coloured-glass overlight. On its R side is a 3-light window, on the L a 2-light window, both with rounded angles, mullioned with bracketed heads to transoms, and with mostly coloured frosted glass in the upper lights. On the L side is a recessed panelled door and overlight to the domestic accommodation in the upper storeys.
In the 1st floor are rounded oriel windows, with replacement plate glass but retaining top-hung leaded and coloured glass casements above transoms. The attic has cross windows in gables with barge boards and pendant finials, with leaded and coloured glass over the transoms.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an early C20 public house retaining original character and detail, and for group value within the historical townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings