This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9645 / 52°57'52"N
Longitude: -3.1105 / 3°6'37"W
OS Eastings: 325511
OS Northings: 341365
OS Grid: SJ255413
Mapcode National: GBR 71.K6XZ
Mapcode Global: WH785.6R27
Entry Name: Bridge No. 36 over Llangollen canal near Plas-yn-pentre
Listing Date: 13 July 2007
Last Amended: 13 July 2007
Source ID: 87537
Building Class: Transport
Location: About 150m S of Llyn Farm.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early C19 bridge. An Act to construct the Ellesmere Canal, linking the Dee, Mersey and Severn Rivers, was
passed in 1793. When, however, it was decided in 1801 not to continue the canal beyond Pontcysyllte a
9.656km long feeder canal (taking water from the Dee at the Horseshoe Falls) was proposed in order to supply water to the main canal. The feeder canal was constructed under the direction of William Jessop (engineer) and Thomas Telford (general agent); work was begun in 1804 and completed in 1808. In addition it provided transport to the slate quarries and limestone works. In 1846 it became part of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, but the following year was taken over by the London & North Western Railway. Transport on the canal diminished in later C19 with arrival of the railways and ceased by World War II. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water and has now became a major tourist asset.
Single-arched bridge in stone, with elliptical arch over canal. Bridge slopes down from N to S. String course at deck level; parapets with flat coping; end piers with low pyramidal capstones. On one side, an iron plate with number "36".
Listed as a distinctive feature of canal engineering and for its Group Value with other listed items on the
Other nearby listed buildings