This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6443 / 52°38'39"N
Longitude: -4.018 / 4°1'4"W
OS Eastings: 263560
OS Northings: 307083
OS Grid: SH635070
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.6HBG
Mapcode Global: WH570.7SXP
Entry Name: Pont y Garth (partly in Llanegryn community)
Listing Date: 17 June 1966
Last Amended: 15 November 2007
Source ID: 87557
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge is at the E end of the community, carrying the main road from Llanegryn to Abergynolwen and Llanfihangel-y-pennant across the Afon Dysynni.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built in the C18, repaired or largely rebuilt by David Jones, stonemason, and Richard Roberts, a carpenter, in 1797-8 at the cost of £103, and again altered in the C20.
Built of local rubble stone. Two segmental shallow arches spanning on to one large water pier, each arch consisting of 50cm radial voussoirs set back under a projecting regulating course, flush spandrels and 50 cm parapet, rising to a flush set horozontal slab coping. The water pier is pointed upstream and has 3 upper rounded set-backs, all rendered as is the soffit of the bridge. The water pier is extended as a tail between concrete walls. The arches reach a height of 2.75m above the water and each spans 4.9m, carrying a carriageway of 4.58m. There is a small refuge in the W parapet.
Included as a substantial double-span road bridge of C18 origin.
Other nearby listed buildings