This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0738 / 52°4'25"N
Longitude: -3.1247 / 3°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 323014
OS Northings: 242313
OS Grid: SO230423
Mapcode National: GBR F1.CFL6
Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.S4HK
Entry Name: Salem Baptist Chapel & attached former School Room inc. Forecourt Wall, Railings, Gatepiers & Steps
Listing Date: 17 January 2008
Last Amended: 17 January 2008
Source ID: 87559
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Between Bear Street and Oxford Road
Community: Hay (Y Gelli Gandryll)
Locality: Hay on Wye
Built-Up Area: Hay-on-Wye
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The site is said to be that of one of the oldest Non-conformist chapels in Wales, founded by John Miles in 1645. However it is likely that the present schoolroom may date from 1814, when it is recorded that a "fairly good" meeting house was erected, and the church is described as a new cause.
The present chapel was built in 1877.
To R is Victorian Gothic chapel. Slate roof with cresting, brown stone with pale freestone dressings. Four lancet windows, and to L, a doorway with hoodmould and boarded door with elaborate strap hinges; above door, a lobed round window also with hoodmould.
To L of chapel is former schoolroom. This is lower than the chapel; brown stone with slate roof. Gablet to L. Doorway offset to L has stone brackets for lost hood; large window to each side of doorway.
The building is set behind a raised forecourt with stone walls with iron railings, and steps flanked by gatepiers which elaborate iron throw; iron gates.
The forecourt has old gravestones.
The interior of the former schoolroom has some wooden dado panelling, but is largely obscured by temporary conversion to gallery space. The chapel interior is largely unaltered. The arch-braced roof is ceiled at tie-beam level; ceiling rose with Gothic detailing. At N end, a gallery supported on iron posts, with Gothic arcading to frontal; original wooden pews; organ; polygonal pulpit; to rear painted trompe l'oeil arch.
Listed as an unspoilt small chapel of 1877, with the added historic interest as site of one of the oldest Non-Conformist Chapels in Wales. Group value with listed properties to north.
Other nearby listed buildings