This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2514 / 53°15'5"N
Longitude: -3.1342 / 3°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 324423
OS Northings: 373311
OS Grid: SJ244733
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKV.85
Mapcode Global: WH76S.TJQR
Entry Name: Unit 7
Listing Date: 11 June 2010
Last Amended: 11 June 2010
Source ID: 87596
Location: On the north side of an access road leading off from Evans Street immediately to the north of the main north coast railway line.
Community: Flint (Y Fflint)
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Office building associated with the Courtaulds Castle works site. In 1917 Courtaulds had established Flint as a base of textile production with the Castle Works site being developed in 1920. This building and another similar office building flank the entrance to the site, the contemporary brick-panelled boundary wall of which survives along with at least one weaving shed on the site. At the end of the C20 the area was largely redeveloped with modern light industrial units.
Office building in neo-Georgian style, single storey in brick with cornice and parapet. 13 bays with a central projecting entrance and two bay projecting end bays all with banded pilasters. Windows are 12 pane horned sashes with rubbed brick heads and projecting cills. Central part glazed timber door with glazed panel and keystone.
Return elevation to left has central door and two large triple 12-pane sashes, that to right has central door and two 12 pane sashes. Parapet and cornice return on both sides.
Main entrance leads into a central lobby with access to a corridor that extends the full width of the building with full height partitioning, the upper sections glazed, along its length. A number of doors lead off the passage into separate rooms. Some original doors, frames and furniture survive.
Included as a rare surviving building from the early twentieth century development of the industrial site of Castle Park associated with Courtaulds, a dominant employer in the area, and for its well mannered design and appearance as a good example of its type and period. Group value with adjacent office building.
Other nearby listed buildings