This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2612 / 53°15'40"N
Longitude: -4.3358 / 4°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 244296
OS Northings: 376341
OS Grid: SH442763
Mapcode National: GBR HNN2.QNX
Mapcode Global: WH42T.C9L8
Entry Name: Rhyd y Spardyn Blas
Listing Date: 9 November 2010
Last Amended: 9 November 2010
Source ID: 87617
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the North Side of the B5109 approximately 1km west of Llangefni
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: Lon Bodffordd
Traditional County: Anglesey
Small farmhouse and attached cowhouse range probably dating to the C17. Altered during the C19 with the conversion of the cowhouse into part of the dwelling. The architect Brian Lingard, prominant in north Wales during the post-war period, moved to the house c.1950. With the help of a post-war Improvement Grant he altered the house in line with architectural ideas of the time but retained the external appearance of the original structrure. The open plan interior and kitchen, dining and bathrooms to the cowhouse are the work of Lingard as are the dormer to the rear roof-slope and the buttress against the rear wall.
House and attached former agricultural range. Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof with close eaves and small pane sash windows with projecting cills. 4 bays, single story with gabled attic dormers and gable end stacks, door to right hand bay with slate porch and C20 door. Large buttress to left hand gable and similar buttress centrally to rear with modern window to the left and small pane sash to the right. Modern dormer and two rooflights in the rear roofslope.
Attached long single storey range set back to right side (the former cowhouse) with grouted slate roof, continued over catslide extension to rear; 2 plate glass sashes offset to left in inserted openings with brick surrounds, small window to right. Two modern gable windows, and two modern windows to the rear.
Offset entrance with open ground floor, the internal arrangement and detail are the result of Brian Lingard's work here c.1950. C20 fireplace and stair, and inserted opening to cowhouse range to right. Three roughly squared floor joists with some evidence of former partitions visible. First floor retains partitions, wide floor boards and later fireplace to gable. 3 Pegged roof trusses visible within the roofspace along with upper sections of former tongue-and-groove partitioning.
Included, for its special architectural interest as a well preserved small farmhouse of the C17 displaying characteristic vernacular features typical of Anglesey buildings of this type and period. The original internal layout has been lost but the present arrangement is of interest as a mid-twentieth century scheme by the architect Brian Lingard.
Other nearby listed buildings