This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1706 / 53°10'14"N
Longitude: -3.1853 / 3°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 320862
OS Northings: 364379
OS Grid: SJ208643
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.46RD
Mapcode Global: WH775.1KGP
Entry Name: The Former Vicarage
Listing Date: 4 October 2010
Last Amended: 4 October 2010
Source ID: 87621
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the E side of Gwernaffield at the end of a short drive leading south of a minor road from Mold.
Community: Gwernaffield with Pantymwyn (Gwernaffield gyda Pantymwyn)
Built-Up Area: Gwernaffield-y-Waun
Traditional County: Flintshire
Early C19 and probably contemporary with the earlier parish church of the 1830's, this replaced c1870 by the current church.
Coursed and squared limestone rubble stone with tooled sandstone window dressings, including hood moulds and projecting sills. Slate roof with dressed stone axial and gable-end chimneys with moulded caps; decorative barge-boards. Small pane hornless sash windows.
Two storeyed, L plan, comprising main range overlooking garden to east, and entrance wing to west, which has further lower 1 ½ storey service wing set back again to the right, partially concealed by a short screen wall in front. Entrance front to north, with advanced gable of main range to left, with 12-pane window to the ground floor, 9-pane above and narrow light in the gable apex. Entrance in the return angle has arched 4-light door, the upper panels glazed. 3-bay slate roofed canopy porch on ornate framed lattice timber pillars with carved spandrels enclosing a paved area the length of the entrance wing. Single window on each floor to right of entrance (12-pane sash to ground floor, 9-pane above). Lower wing to right has further door and later windows to ground and first floor.
Garden elevation to the left is of two bays with matching 15-pane windows to the ground floor and 9-pane windows above. Windows to the rear elevation have brick heads: stair window to the main wing, two windows to the side wing and later casement window to the lower wing to the left side. Stone wall attached to the rear of the Vicarage partially encloses garden area to the rear and side.
Not inspected but said to retain original layout and fittings, including the main stair, fireplaces, panelled doors, shutters etc.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well preserved early C19 vicarage displaying good quality craftsmanship and construction. Group value with adjacent coach-house.
Other nearby listed buildings