This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5704 / 51°34'13"N
Longitude: -3.0204 / 3°1'13"W
OS Eastings: 329375
OS Northings: 186219
OS Grid: ST293862
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DBZ4
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.LSLH
Entry Name: Park Junction Golden Mile Pillar
Listing Date: 9 March 2011
Last Amended: 9 March 2011
Source ID: 87624
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located on the Western Valley Line at Gaer just to the W of the Park Junction signal box on the S side ofthe railway tracks
Community: Gaer (Y Gaer)
Locality: Tredegar Park
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The growth in industry in the south Wales valleys in the late C18 and early C19 was accompanied by the expansion of transport routes to link the industrial areas to the coastal ports. To allow this the Monmouthshire Railway & Canal Act was passed in 1792 to allow the construction of canals and tramroads.
At the start of the C19 ironworks at the head of the Sirhowy valley were established and a tramroad (the Sirhowy Tramroad) was proposed to link the ironworks to the River Usk at Newport. Sir Charles Morgan of Tredegar House was involved with the consortium of landowners behind the ironworks and he owned most of the land along the proposed route of the tramroad around Tredegar House and the mouth of the Ebbw.
Morgan allowed construction in 1805 of the tramroad through Tredegar Park and pillars were erected at the points where it entered, at Park Junction and Pye Corner (Bassaleg). Morgan was entitled to levy tolls on the traffic that passed through the Park and because of the high volume of traffic the length became known as the 'Park Mile' or 'Golden Mile'. A further post existed opposite the surviving post at Park Junction but this was removed c2007.
Stone pillar. Squared with triangular cap and facing the track a raised crown with large 'T' and underneath 'PARK MILE RAILWAY'.
Included for its special historic interest as part of the industrial development of Wales and reflecting the impact and influence of one of the major landowners of south Wales. Group value with the other remaining Golden Mile Pillar.
Other nearby listed buildings