This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5815 / 51°34'53"N
Longitude: -3.0106 / 3°0'38"W
OS Eastings: 330068
OS Northings: 187440
OS Grid: ST300874
Mapcode National: GBR J5.CMD3
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.RJR0
Entry Name: Rothbury House
Listing Date: 1 February 2011
Last Amended: 1 February 2011
Source ID: 87630
Location: On the south west of Stow Park Circle near to the junction with Cae Perllan Road
Community: Gaer (Y Gaer)
Locality: Stow Park
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built c.1880 as a large detached house in the Jacobean style. The area of Stow Park Cresent and Stow Park circle was at the mid C19 a largely rural area on the outskirts of Newport but it was heavily developed during c.1870-1890 for higher class detached housing. Several of the houses were designed by A.O. Watkins of Newport, a well established local architect and it is likely that Rothbury House is to his designs. It was used during the later C20 as a nursing home.
House, squared roughly dressed stone with dressed stone string courses, surrounds to windows and doors. Slate roof with deep overhanging eaves, stome mullion and transom windows with single pane below and four-light above. Symmetrical three bay facade of 2½ storeys. Central first floor oriel with three narrow single windows, solid parapet and 'ROTHBURY HOUSE' carved at the base. Advanced door case below and gabled dormer with ogee pediment above. Canted full height bays to either side with paired windows to the front and single windows to the sides, balustraded pediment to the attic with dutch gabled dormers with paired windows. Moulded interrupted string course to each bay at first floor and parapet.
Elevation to right of 3 bays with advanced ground floor bay to left with steps rising to first floor entrance, dressed stone doorway to the left hand return. First floor entrance set in projecting stone surround with windows to either side and returns. Gabled dormer and balustraded pediment above. Further 2 window bays to right, narrow window bay to the extreme right. Elevation to left has 5 window range offset to left with full height pilaster to right (presumably a former chimney stack). Windows to ground floor grouped into 2 pairs to left, the right hand window blocked, and doorway to the right with overlight presumably providing access to a now lost extension.
Rear elevation projecting chimney stack offset to left and to the centre a large first floor 12-over-3 light stone mullioned window with coloured glass and the image of a moustachioed knight in stained glass to the central lower light. Blocked window to the right. Later extension attached to the ground floor linking with later single storey brick building to the rear. Further detached brick building to the side.
Interior retains plan form based on a symmetrical layout with original stair central to the rear and in line with the main front entrance. A further hallway with archway links to stair with the right hand entrance bay. Many of the internal fittings and features survive, including stair, panelled doors and architraves, overlights and dado panelling.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well detailed and accomplished larger detached house of the later C19, important for its historical interest as part of the suburban expansion of the town of Newport and for retaining its original form and much original detail.
Other nearby listed buildings