This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.525 / 52°31'29"N
Longitude: -3.2693 / 3°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 313982
OS Northings: 292657
OS Grid: SO139926
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.G1R4
Mapcode Global: VH684.9S0Q
Entry Name: Penarth Feeder Weir
Listing Date: 20 March 2012
Last Amended: 20 March 2012
Source ID: 87648
Location: Adjacent to the sewage works at Dolfor Lock, at the end of the minor road from Llanllwchaiarn. Reached by a footpath from Freestone Lock on the west bank of the River Severn.
Community: Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn (Y Drenewydd a Llanllwchaearn)
Community: Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Double weir designed by Josias Jessop in 1813-14 and constructed by John Williams from 1814-1818 as part of the development of the Montgomeryshire Canal and the Western Branch that extended the canal to Newtown. The Western Branch had been supported and partly financed by William Pugh of Newtown to promote the growth of the flannel industry in the town. The Feeder Weir was constructed to supply the canal with water from the River Severn and was equipped with a fish ladder to protect the migrating stocks of salmon in the river.
Two gradually curved shallow stone weirs crossing the Severn. Brick-built intake channel with sluices located to the west on the downstream side with a further salmon ladder adjacent to the weir. Overflow channel further to the north.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well preserved example of an early 19th century weir carefully designed and constructed to enable a controlled water supply to the Montgomeryshire Canal. Important for its historic interest as an integral part of the development of a much wider system of water management and in the development of Newtown as an industrial centre in the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings