This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6742 / 51°40'27"N
Longitude: -4.1633 / 4°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 250514
OS Northings: 199490
OS Grid: SS505994
Mapcode National: GBR GS.VFXD
Mapcode Global: VH3MJ.S5DV
Entry Name: Llanelli West Signal Box
Listing Date: 4 April 2013
Source ID: 87663
Building Class: Transport
Location: To the west of LLanelli station on the west side of the level crossing over Glanmor Road
Built-Up Area: Llanelli
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in 1877 for the Great Western Railway as a GWR type 2 signal box on the South Wales Railway Line connecting Chepstow with Fishguard. During the mid 20th century there were five signal boxes in the Llanelli area, only Llanelli West now survives. In 1973 the levers of the Llanelli West box were removed, although the frame was retained and Individual Function Switch (IFS) equipment installed. At inspection in 2012 the box still controlled the adjacent level crossing.
Signal Box. Two storey brick and timber with hipped slate roof. North trackside elevation with timber gallery to upper floor with continious galzing of four horizontally sliding sash windows (replaced to west). Three small pane windows with projecting cills to ground floor. Gallery returns to east and west, west elevation with large fixed small pane window, east elevation with palin window and door accessed by modern stell stairs. Plain door to locking room below. Canted corner to south elevation, two blocked windows to upper floor, external stach truncated at eaves level.
Plain boarded rafter roof, lever frame and 1973 IFS equipment.
Included for its special historic interest as the only surviving example of a GWR type 2 Signal Box in Wales, believed to be the fourth oldest surviving signal box in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings