This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9682 / 52°58'5"N
Longitude: -3.4124 / 3°24'44"W
OS Eastings: 305237
OS Northings: 342141
OS Grid: SJ052421
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.K5KR
Mapcode Global: WH780.KN7B
Entry Name: Summerhouse, Garden Wall and attached privy at Gwerclas Hall
Listing Date: 8 November 2013
Source ID: 87666
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Located approximately 40m to the rear of Gwerclas Hall
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Gwerclas Hall dates to 1767 and probably replaced an earlier house. It was a seat of the indigenous Welsh aristocracy and its rebuilding in the 18th Century may have been a conspicuous display of their power and wealth. The Summerhouse and formal gardens to the rear of the Hall probably dates to this period and the Summerhouse, constructive over 3 floors in an elevated position was probably used as a banqueting house and positioned so as to give views over the house and to the Berwyn Mountains in the distance.
The Ordnance Survey Map of 1873 shows the Summerhouse and brick walls in their current positions as a terraced garden laid out within the walls. On the 1901 Ordnance Survey map, the terracing is not shown and a seperate enclosure has been constructed in the southern part of the garden. A concrete pad survives in this area and this may be the foot print of a building or yard shown on the 1901 map. The Summerhouse, walls and privy were repaired circa 2010.
Summerhouse, tall three storey structure set within the garden wall. Brick with sloping pilasters to each side and gabled slate rppf. Wide arch with slight projecting drip course to an open ground floor with tree full width stone steps and further wide stone steps in front. Two 12-pane hornless sashed to first floor with exposed boxes. Evidence of what may have been a diamond shaped clock fixed at the gable. Doorway in the left wall leads to a flight of external dogleg stone steps to plain boarded first floor door. Further flight of external steps to rear giving access to small attic door. Small gable stack to rear.
Surrounding garden walls extend north and south from the summerhouse and return eastwards to adjoin the Hall at its north-west corner and the rubble stone wall lining the drive to the south. Brick with flat stone copings. Gateway immediately to the north of the Summerhouse, not original. Square headed doorway in centre of southern wall, lancet headed doorway opposite in northern wall. Brick privy with asymmetric slate roof attached to north side of wall at north-east corner. Lancet doorway in west wall with plain boarded door. Blocked arcade to garden side partially reused for central dooway, again with plain boarded door and leaded window to right.
Ground floor of Summerhouse etains evidence of plastered finish and framing to the arched opening suggesting that it was originally enclosed. Fist floor interior has been reinstated with slate fireplace to west wall with timber surround, oak skirting, floorboards, shutters and shutter boxes with aprons. Attic not inspected.
Included for its special architectual interest as a good example of an 18th Century garden structure with surrounding integral garden walls, retaining good original character and sensitively repaired in circa 2010. Of historic interest as part of the development of Gwerclas Hall and for its group value with Gwerclass Hall and nearby outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings