This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0236 / 53°1'24"N
Longitude: -2.9633 / 2°57'47"W
OS Eastings: 335483
OS Northings: 347796
OS Grid: SJ354477
Mapcode National: GBR 77.FDPQ
Mapcode Global: WH895.G84D
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 23 August 2016
Source ID: 87687
Building Class: Transport
Location: Next to Providence House on the south side of the A525 (Wrexham Road), to the west of the junction with the A528 Overton Road.
Community: Marchwiel (Marchwiail)
Built-Up Area: Marchwiel
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Marchwiel sits on the junction of two historic routes from the south-east to Wrexham, from Shrewsbury through Ellesmere and Overton (A528/A539) and from Whitchurch through Bangor-is-y-coed (A525). Two Turnpike Acts were passed in the mid C18 to improve these routes and only a limited number of milestones have been recorded as surviving, two on the Overton-Ellesmere road (both listed), two on the Bangor-Whitchurch road and two on the Overton-Hanmer road.
The first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1879 shows a milestone in the location in Marchwiel with distances to Ellesmere/Overton/Wrexham, and another milestone nearer Wrexham at Kings Mills. A milestone is shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1899 with distances to Wrexham/Ellesmere, the same as the distances shown on the milestone plaque suggesting that the stone is earlier, possibly original to the passing of the Turnpike Act with the plaque added in the 1890’s.
Milestone, rounded stone with attached cast iron plaque, with a rounded and shouldered head and painted white with raised lettering ‘TO, M, WREXHAM 2, ELLESMERE 10’. Largely hidden by raised ground levels but revealed at the time of inspection.
Included for its special historic interest as a well preserved late C19 milestone, possibly incorporating an earlier milestone, and one of the few surviving milestones on the Marchwiel, Whitchurch and Ellesmere turnpike system.
Other nearby listed buildings