History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Footbridge at Llanbradach Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbradach, Caerphilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6034 / 51°36'12"N

Longitude: -3.2331 / 3°13'59"W

OS Eastings: 314694

OS Northings: 190116

OS Grid: ST146901

Mapcode National: GBR HV.BCG9

Mapcode Global: VH6DL.XY4Q

Entry Name: Footbridge at Llanbradach Station

Listing Date: 5 April 2016

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87707

Building Class: Transport

Location: At Llanbradach Station

County: Caerphilly

Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant (Llanbradach a Phwll-y-pant)

Community: Llanbradach and Pwllypant

Built-Up Area: Llanbradach

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Caerphilly

History

Built by the Rhymney Railway Company (RRC) in the late C19. The Rhymney Railway had been incorporated in 1854 in order to construct a line from the Rhymney Iron Works to Hengoed to join the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway. This was extended in 1855 to join the Taff Vale Railway (TVR) at Walnut Tree at Caerphilly. It was eventually linked from Caerphilly to Cardiff docks in 1871, ahead of its rival the TVR. It was merged with the TVR and the other valleys lines under the GWR banner after the First World War. Typically for a valleys railway its construction required some major engineering such as the viaduct at Nant Bargoed and the Pontlottyn Viaduct. The bridge at Llanbradach is similar to another RRC footbridge at Hengoed Station, as well as others at Cogan Station (built by the Barry Dock & Railways Company) and Treorchy and Trefforest Station (both TVR).

Exterior

Footbridge, wrought and cast iron. Flight of steps on each platform to half landing, turning onto arched bridge over railway lines. Square balusters with ball finials to base of each steps, lattice girder rails with handrail and plain balusters, bulbous bracing to arched bridge. Wooden decking and treads. Half landing supported by columns with pierced angle bracing

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a well preserved railway bridge of the late C19, a distinctive building type once common across the Valleys lines of S Wales. Also of special historic interest for its connection with the national development of the railway network which revolutionised long distance travel and leading in part to the industrial and urban boom of Victorian South Wales.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llanbradach War Memorial
    Located in the centre of the village, opposite the site of the demolished parish church, with the recreation ground behind.
  • II Barn at Dyffryn Isaf
    Located off the W side of a lane which runs N along the Rhymney valley from Bedwas to Maes y Cwmmer. Farm-house to the NW.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery middle revetment wall
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The middle revetment wall is sited immediately E of the engineering shops and fan house.
  • II Former Llandbradach Colliery workshops range
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The former workshops are sited at the lower level of the site, E of the fan house.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery fan house
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The fan house is sited on the middle level of the colliery, S of the yard and engineering shops.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery upper revetment wall
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The upper revetment wall is sited at the middle level of the colliery complex below the engine hall and winding house.
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery winding engine house
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The winding house is sited on the upper level of the colliery to the S of the reservoir and engine hall and immediately W of Col
  • II Former Llanbradach Colliery brick reservoir
    Llanbradach Colliery is on the steep hillside to the W of the village. The reservoir is sited immediately E of Colliery Road with the engine hall to the N and winding house to the S.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.