This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6714 / 51°40'16"N
Longitude: -4.6972 / 4°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 213589
OS Northings: 200399
OS Grid: SN135003
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7QZH
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.J8M2
Entry Name: Former Stables on Sergeants Lane
Listing Date: 12 August 2016
Source ID: 87709
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the eastern side of Sergeants Lane, towards the southern end near to its junction with St Julians Street.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The stables are part of a group of vernacular service buildings along Sergeants Lane, a narrow lane of medieval origin that links St Julians Street with Bridge Street. Most of the eastern side of Sergeants Lane appears on a map of 1849 (the Hughes map), but the western side is mostly later and first appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. The stables are shown on the 1849 map and on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, with further ranges extending to the south-east and north-east. These ranges have since been lost.
The stables, and some of the other buildings on the eastern side are likely to have early origins, and surviving fireplaces are suggestive of a C16 date. They were probably originally constructed as workers housing – perhaps fishermen’s cottages. The buildings were probably converted into stabling in the early-mid C19: surviving windows in the rear range of the stables suggest an early C19 date but a date in 1840s may be more likely, as there was a surge of residential development in Tenby in that period, and the building provided coach housing and stabling for the gentrified housing nearby. The lower rear range and the openings in the front elevation date to this period.
From the later C19 up until the late 1990s many of the buildings on Sergeants Lane were incorporated as warehousing and stores for Hermann Thomas and Co Plumbers. Most of the buildings remain as stores and workshops and have survived without much alteration or redevelopment in the C20, retaining a strong vernacular character in contrast to the polite appearance of nearby streets. Whilst the other buildings are of interest as survivals of early housing/service buildings in the town only the former stables is of special interest.
Former stable building with 2 storey angled frontage onto Sergeants Lane and further range extending to rear. Rubble stone with brick dressings, including 2-stage brick-arched heads with keystones to ground floor openings and flat brick arches to first floors. Corrugated sheet and slate roofs.
Sergeants Lane entrance with paired arched entrances offset to right on ground floor, double timber doors to left, blocked to right. Small 2-light casement to left. On the first floor tall (blocked) openings above each entrance, to right a former loading door with hoist ‘cat head’ beam. Further blocked opening (possibly also a loading door) to left.
Left-hand arched entrance gives access to passage leading to rear range: rear elevation has plain brick-arched head to passageway, with small 12 pane horizontally sliding sash window above. Short single bay wing extends from frontage range with brick gable chimney stack, surviving 12-light hornless sash window to first floor and smaller window below. Further lower range set back slightly beyond this. To the ground floor 2 central wide openings flanked by single openings to either side, all with 2-stage brick-arched heads with keystones. Further doorways at each end. First floor has square central opening, further openings aligned with above flanking doorways to ground floor. Evidence of adjoining structure (now lost) at far end.
Pitched stone passage to left hand archway from Sergeants Lane with ‘tramline’ flag stones. Stabling to left with timber stalls, arched screen, panelling, manger, and tack hooks. Room to right converted for stabling late C20. First floor and rear range not inspected.
Included for its special architectural interest as a rare surviving example of an urban stable range which has largely survived without later alteration and with some original fittings and features intact. Important also for its historic interest in its adaption from an earlier building and for its role as part of the development of early and mid C19 Tenby as a fashionable resort.
Other nearby listed buildings