This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5022 / 51°30'7"N
Longitude: -3.1957 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 317101
OS Northings: 178819
OS Grid: ST171788
Mapcode National: GBR KDC.DG
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.KHDR
Entry Name: Vicarage to Parish Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 4 May 2018
Source ID: 87714
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the east side of North Road, approximately 250 metres south of the North Road (A470) – Eastern Avenue (A48) Gabalfa interchange. The church and Vicarage are set behind original perimeter railings a
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The original St Mark’s Church had been constructed in 1876 on the junction of North Road and Whitchurch Road to serve the growing suburb of Maindy. It was designed by C Waring of Cardiff. Its vicarage, a large stone house in the same style as the church sat alongside it.
As part of the development of the Gabalfa interchange during the 1960s the original church and vicarage of St Mark’s was demolished and a new plot further south along North Road was made available for the construction of a replacement church.
The new church of St Mark was consecrated in May 1968 and a new vicarage was built at the same time to the rear of the church. An overall scheme for the new church and vicarage had been put together by Lord Mottistone of Seely and Paget architects. This is shown in drawings of July 1963 and included a vicarage linked to the church by a vestry. Following the death of Lord Mottistone the scheme was reworked in 1965 by Andrew New, formerly assistant to Lord Mottistone. Mr New retained the basic plan with a linked vicarage in similar style to the church. Roof cover changed from copper to artificial slate in 2015 following storm damage.
Vicarage, 2 storey detached building, linked to the main church by a screen wall. Constructed in ‘Windsor Grey’ Leicestershire brick with artificial slate roof (formerly copper and fibreglass). Large pane windows. Rectangular plan with hipped roof and axial stacks, gabled projections to entrance elevation (west – facing church) and north elevation. South facing elevation of 3 wide windows. Single ground floor window to east elevation. North elevation with windows to gabled bay, door and window above in angle and tall stair window to side. Entrance in west elevation under plain canopy with narrow windows to side.
Included for its special architectural interest as an integral part of the development of St Mark’s Church, sharing its principles of design and appearance. The church is a good example of a post war church building which illustrates the key elements of ecclesiastical architecture and changes in building and material technology of this period.
Other nearby listed buildings