History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone at Belle Vue Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Stow Hill, Newport

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5778 / 51°34'40"N

Longitude: -3.0019 / 3°0'6"W

OS Eastings: 330666

OS Northings: 187023

OS Grid: ST306870

Mapcode National: GBR J5.CX6P

Mapcode Global: VH7BC.XLCT

Entry Name: Milestone at Belle Vue Park

Listing Date: 9 May 2017

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87735

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the S side of Cardiff Road (B4237), c60m SW from the Lodge to Belle Vue Park.

County: Newport

Community: Stow Hill

Community: Stow Hill

Built-Up Area: Newport

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Newport

History

The Newport District Turnpike Trust was established by an Act of Parliament in 1811 for the construction and operation of several Turnpike Roads within the district of Newport. This milestone was erected on the road from Newport to Cardiff and dates from the early C19 development of the Turnpike Road. The line of the road is shown as ‘tramroad’ on a 1835 map, running for part of its length alongside the Sirhowy Tramroad, later the railway, which had been constructed 1802-5. The road is shown as ‘Cardiff Road’ on the 1845 Tithe map and the milestone is shown on the 1st ed OS map of 1887. The milestone dates from 1835-45. The 1st ed map also shows other milestones located at regular mile points along the road between Newport and Cardiff. Cardiff Road became the A48 before a replacement A48 was constructed south of the city centre, at this point it was renamed the B4237.

Exterior

Milestone, stone with rounded top, 3 sided with flat face to rear. W side marked ‘To Newport 1', E side ‘To Cardiff 11’. Lower flat stone in front marked in same font ‘To London 147 miles [S]t Woollo’.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special historic interest as a well preserved early milestone, one of the few, possibly the only surviving milestone of the Newport District Turnpike Trust.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.