This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6556 / 52°39'20"N
Longitude: -3.1428 / 3°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 322793
OS Northings: 307047
OS Grid: SJ227070
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5NXH
Mapcode Global: WH79P.PHMZ
Entry Name: Ysgol Maesydre
Listing Date: 27 November 2017
Source ID: 87750
Building Class: Education
Location: At the S end of Howell Road to the SSW of the station.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
County Intermediate School of 1898 by Frank Shayler of Welshpool and Oswestry with extensions of 1955 by Herbert Carr. Shayler was a prominent local architect responsible for a range of public and private buildings; his school in Welshpool was amongst the first of his commissions in Montgomeryshire. He was awarded the contract for the school following a competition, his designs being described as ‘most admirably adapted, and taken as a whole the accommodation, together with scholastic fitness, were everything to be desired.’ The school was designed for 300 pupils, both boys and girls, and was intended to be arranged around a large central hall, with classroom wings to either side including chemical laboratory, cooking and laundry classrooms, music, art and workshops and gymnasium. It was also provided with separate playgrounds and a large playing field to the front.
The school was extended to the rear and side in 1955 by Herbert Carr, County Architect for Montgomeryshire from the early 1930s to 1965. The post war years were a prolific period for Carr with much work carried out on school building in the county. Some alterations were carried out in the later C20, in particular the insertion of a suspended ceiling in the main hall but otherwise the school has survived largely as built.
School, Baroque Revival style with an appearance dominated by coped gables and roof slopes. In red brick, tiled roof with sandstone dressings, including cill courses, kneelers and cappings. Modillion eaves and timber windows.
Tall 2 storey main central hall range, with single storey ranges clustered to either side of it in a balanced asymmetrical composition. To the N (front) of the main range, a projecting wing with Dutch-style gable and large Diocletian-style window with a grid of glazing (lighting the hall); intermittent projecting stone vouissoirs to the window arch, and in apex of gable above, roundel in panel, banded stonework and scrolled pediment with ball finial. Projecting below the window is canted bay with flat roof behind parapet, and 2-tier mullion window beneath very shallow curved pediment to parapet and further single windows to angles. Square projections to side of hall wing, with mullion windows, and additional windows above set back below the eaves. Cupola on the ridge behind. To either side of the central hall wing are lower gabled bays projecting from the deep roof of the main range, each with tiered sash windows of 12 and 18 lights.
In line with these, but projecting from either side of the main two-storey range are lower single storey ranges. That to left is a twin-gabled range with double pile range to rear offset outwards. Plain end gable with flat roofed single storey 1955 extension attached. Right-hand range comprises a single bay, with tiered window in gable as before and again with rear range with ridge cupola offset outwards.
Rear elevation of main hall range partly obscured by 1955 sports hall extension but with paired gable bays each with two large 18/18-pane sash windows to the first floor, flanking tall mullioned and transomed (stair) window to the centre. 12 pane sash windows to the ground floor. Central main entrance now obscured by later extension. Advanced block to left has big gable with four sash windows of 12 and 18 panes arranged 1-2-1, divided by buttresses. Two similar gables in larger range to right.
1955 extensions comprise a T-shaped building to the front and side connected by a flat roofed range. Large sports hall to the rear. All in red brick with tiled roofs and sandstone window dressings, to match the original, with casement windows.
Interior plan form and detail survives largely intact. Main hall has suspended ceiling, above which the braced decorative roof trusses survive with raised moulded ceiling panelling. Longitudinal corridor from end to end with dado panelling, part glazed classroom doors with over and side lights. Stair with paired squared carved balusters, scrolled tread ends and carved newel posts. Entrance hall at rear with dado panelling and fireplace (boarded).
Included for its special architectural interest as well designed late C19 County Intermediate school by one of the leading architects of the period. Constructed during an important phase of school development which allowed for regular provision for state secondary education for the first time. The 1889 Welsh Intermediate Act emphasised technical education and this school was provided with specific facilities for this. It survives largely intact, the additions of 1955 (themselves by a notable architect of the period) respecting the form and detailing of the original building.
This structure has been afforded Interim Protection under the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. It is an offence to damage this structure and you may be prosecuted.
To find out more about Interim Protection, please visit the statutory notices page on the Cadw website. For further information about this structure, or to report any damage please contact Cadw.
Other nearby listed buildings