History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bryn Heulog

A Grade II Listed Building in Mynytho, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8522 / 52°51'7"N

Longitude: -4.5134 / 4°30'48"W

OS Eastings: 230857

OS Northings: 331257

OS Grid: SH308312

Mapcode National: GBR 56.S835

Mapcode Global: WH44N.MKZT

Entry Name: Bryn Heulog

Listing Date: 10 October 2017

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87754

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the roadside at the E end of Mynytho, one of the first houses in the village on the road from Llanbedrog.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Llanengan

Community: Llanengan

Locality: Mynytho

Built-Up Area: Mynytho

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

History

Constructed in the early C19 as a roadside dwelling enclosing a small area of land. It is marked on the Tithe map of 1840 as a 1 acre ‘Cottage and Croft’, owned by Evan Williams and occupied by David Roberts. It is shown substantially in its current form on the 1st edition OS map of 1888 and has survived largely unaltered since.

Exterior

Cottage, colour washed rubble stone, slate roofs and clay ridge tiles with gable stacks, 4-pane sash widows. House is 2 storey, two-unit plan with central door, right hand offset (for larger kitchen chimney). Ground floor window to right replaced. Upper windows immediately below eaves. Single storey lean to extension added to left, later gabled extension to right with random slate roof, and small-pane casement window immediately against gable of the cottage; doorway in catslide extension to rear. Rear elevation of main cottage has small stair windows to ground and first floor, and a further small extension.
Front and left hand side of dwelling enclosed by low rubble stone wall with gate to garden path.

Interior

Not inspected but said to retain original central stair and entrance hall plan, presumably with kitchen to right and parlour to left and bedrooms above.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a good and relatively unaltered example of an early C19 vernacular cottage, once common in the region but now an increasingly rare survival. A very good example of the traditional housing common to much of Wales throughout the C19.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bryn-yr-efail
    Situated some 400m S of Ysgol Foel Gron on W side of road running SW from B4413 towards Capel Carmel.
  • II Windmill Tower on Foel Fawr
    Situated on the summit of prominent hill about 1 km N of Mynytho.
  • II Bys-coch
    The cottage is set in the angle between two minor roads winding around the SW side of Mynydd Tir-y-cwmwd.
  • II Schoolroom and Tan Capel
    The two conjoined buildings form the NW side of the forecourt to Capel Peniel, on the road running NW towards Aberdaron.
  • II Capel Peniel, with adjoining manse and forecourt railings
    The chapel stands back from the road at the top of a sloping forecourt, bound on both sides by buildings.
  • II Rhedyn
    Situated on N side of road from Nanhoron to Rhydyclafdy about 1.3 km NE of Capel Nant.
  • II Poultry House at Rhandir
    Situated on E side of farmyard above Rhandir, which is about 1 km S of Capel Carmel, Mynytho.
  • II* Castellmarch
    Situated down drive running W from A499 from point some 1.5 km N of Abersoch.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.