This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9234 / 52°55'24"N
Longitude: -3.9902 / 3°59'24"W
OS Eastings: 266299
OS Northings: 338079
OS Grid: SH662380
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.MWQG
Mapcode Global: WH55N.PS36
Entry Name: Llennyrch Farm
Listing Date: 4 December 2017
Source ID: 87757
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a track off a minor road approx. 5.5km NE of Talsarnau, near to the N end of Llyn Trawsfynydd.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Farmhouse constructed c.1700. Typical Snowdonian 2 unit plan of hall, outer room and service room with fireplace stair, post and panel partition between entrance passage and outer room, and rear kitchen wing. Remodelled in the C19 with the hall becoming kitchen, the creation of new partitions including a substantial slate wall between the parlour (former outer room) and service room. The in line cow house and adjacent barn also probably date to this period, as does the masonry of the front elevation of the house. Shown in its current form on the 1st ed OS map of 1888. Windows and roof cover replaced late C20, acquired by the Woodland Trust c.2015.
Farmhouse, squared rubble stone with stone gable chimney stacks, rough projecting cills and slate roof. 2 storeyed, 3 window range offset, with entrance to left of centre. Windows replaced in original C19 openings. Right hand gable plain except for small deeply recessed 2-light timber mullion window high up on the right. 2 storey single bay kitchen wing attached to rear, with door at junction with house, wide window to ground floor, smaller window above. Small window to first floor in rear elevation of house. Plain gable and left hand elevations to kitchen wing. Single bay cow house in line to left of house, with door to ground floor and window above, and upper doorway in left gable with external stone steps. Cat slide extension against rear with end door. Gap in between cat slide extension and kitchen wing with square windows to both ground and first floor.
Group value with ‘L’ shaped barn and cart shed immediately to the north, which are also of special interest.
Central entrance hall with former hall now kitchen to right, parlour front left and service room (now bathroom) to rear left. Boarded doors to both parlour and kitchen. Flagged floor throughout ground floor. Kitchen with large fireplace with plain chamfered beam and later range. Stairs to left of stack. Small cupboard built into wall to right of fireplace. Heavy ceiling framing, all timbers with plain chamfer stops. Parlour with late C19 slate fireplace surround. Partition of massive upright slate slabs between parlour and rear service room, now converted to bathroom. Passage to side of stairs through to the kitchen wing at rear with large fireplace with range, heavy ceiling framing as before. Central dog leg stairs to first floor with wide landing and two bedrooms to either side, room to rear on right side with gable stairs and panelled partition at head of stairs. Access through to room over rear kitchen with blocked fireplace and windows in gable. Collar and strut truss over notched heavy ceiling beam.
Included for its special architectural interest as a good surviving example of a c1700 Snowdonian farmhouse retaining form and significant elements of its original construction. The later alterations carried out with the remodelling of the interior are also of architectural and historic interest and show the development of the house through the C19. Group Value with barn and cart shed.
Other nearby listed buildings