History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 37, 38 and 39 and Attached Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2444 / 52°14'39"N

Longitude: 0.7062 / 0°42'22"E

OS Eastings: 584856

OS Northings: 264136

OS Grid: TL848641

Mapcode National: GBR QDZ.CCC

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.6V6B

Entry Name: Numbers 37, 38 and 39 and Attached Walls

Listing Date: 30 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466944

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

Locality: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8464SE KING'S ROAD
639-1/6/462 (South side)
Nos.37, 38 AND 39
and attached walls

GV II

A terrace of 3 houses, formerly part of the barracks of the
West Suffolk Militia Regiment. 1857/8. By RM Phipson in
partnership with G Morgan. In dark red brick with blue headers
and lighter red brick dressings. Hipped slate roof with a wide
eaves soffit. Elizabethan style, and in similar, but plainer,
style to Nos 28 to 33 King's Road (qv).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 15 window range, arranged 3:2:3:2:2:3,
all single-light casements with horizontal glazing-bars in
slightly pointed brick surrounds with stone sills. High
internal sawtooth chimney-stacks each have a row of tall
terracotta pots. Rear has 3 paired ground and first-floor
windows to each house.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Low red brick boundary walls along the frontage have stone
copings and higher dividing pillars with conical stone caps.
HISTORY: the 1853 Militia Act required each county to provide
NCO accommodation and a secure store for arms. These houses
may be the former. An unusual design, which forms part of a
group with the adjoining Nos 28-33 (qv).
(Harrods Directory of Suffolk 1864: Ipswich: 1864-: 158; Brown
C, Haward B & Kindred B: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk
Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 158).


Listing NGR: TL8485664136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.