History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Allington Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chippenham Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4747 / 51°28'28"N

Longitude: -2.1517 / 2°9'6"W

OS Eastings: 389561

OS Northings: 175094

OS Grid: ST895750

Mapcode National: GBR 1QY.GTS

Mapcode Global: VH96B.N6CB

Entry Name: Allington Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022897

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317292

Location: Chippenham Without, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chippenham Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Chippenham

Listing Text

CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT ALLINGTON
ST 87 NE
3/200 Allington Manor Farmhouse

20.12.60

GV II

Farmhouse, mid C18 incorporating fragments from C17 manor. Ashlar
and rubble stone with stone-tiled roof. Moulded coped gables with
corniced ashlar stacks to end walls. 2 storey and attic, ashlar
fronted with raised eaves band and string course. 2 hipped
dormers. 4-window first floor range of flush chamfered 2-light
mullion windows, central flush keyed oval light with fine C17
carved Prynne arms over. Ground floor altered after 1840 for
Grittleton estate with 2 stone-tiled canted bays with large cross-
windows to front and central coped gabled porch. Moulded arched
inner doorway in moulded square frame. At south end, a rubble
stone wing with coped south gable and north end stack joined to
main range stack, one window range of sashes in flush surrounds.
South end wall has 3-light recessed mullion window with cyma and
hollow chamfer mouldings and 2-light flush hollow-chamfer-moulded
window above. Rear has 2 gables with central hipped roof infill
between, left gable has 4-light recessed moulded mullion window
with sash above, right gable has much eroded 3-light mullion window
with 2-light recessed moulded mullion window and single lights each
side above. Centre has moulded flush doorcase with oak plank door
from former house dated 1612 on knocker and 2-light chamfered
window to left, 3-light flush cyma-moulded window above. At north
east angle is addition of after 1840, with coped gables to east and
west, flush quoins and 2-light plain mullion window to each floor
at west end. C19 brick range with slate roof to east.


Listing NGR: ST8956175094

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.