This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9691 / 54°58'8"N
Longitude: -1.6096 / 1°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 425090
OS Northings: 563897
OS Grid: NZ250638
Mapcode National: GBR SPV.4C
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.7CSH
Entry Name: County Hall
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304450
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CASTLE GARTH
24/145 County Hall
County offices. Lower and front part 1910 by J. A. Bain. Rear, right extension
down to the Side, and top storeys 1933 by Cackett, Dick and McKellar. Sandstone
ashlar; roof not visible. 6 storeys, 14 bays to Castle Garth; l0 storeys, 9 bays
on right return to the Side. Classical style. Central double door in Greek
Doric porch with triglyph frieze and prominent dentils in high entablature. 6
bays either side have central 4-bay projections. Rusticated ground floor with
cornice has sashes in plain reveals. Giant Ionic Order above, pilasters at
corners and half-columns defining bays of projections, with architraves to
windows. Alternate pediments to the first floor in projections, the central
windows on each floor paired. Moulded sills on second floor. Second floor
cornice. Plain third floor has cornice with parapet to outer bays; 2 top storeys
to central 5 bays, with raised balustrade on top. Later additions set back at
each side on upper floors. Cartouche above porch has Northumberland County Arms.
Until 1974 this was a detached part of the County of Northumberland.
Listing NGR: NZ2509063897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings