History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Chapel and Hill Chorlton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9369 / 52°56'12"N

Longitude: -2.2798 / 2°16'47"W

OS Eastings: 381294

OS Northings: 337760

OS Grid: SJ812377

Mapcode National: GBR 03N.SK9

Mapcode Global: WH9C0.YFKV

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362546

Location: Chapel and Hill Chorlton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Chapel and Hill Chorlton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel Chorlton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Standon

Listing Text

CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON C.P. CHAPEL CHORLTON
SJ 83 NW

10/12
Church of St Lawrence
17/11/66
II

Parish church. Medieval origins, entirely reconstructed in 1826-7 by
James Trubshaw Junior. Sandstone ashlar (with especially large blocks
below the plinth to nave and chancel), slate roof. Classical style;
nave and chancel in one, west tower. Tower: the basic fabric is
probably medieval (see the roll-moulded plinth and the tool marks on
the masonry), but the windows, along with the buttresses, parapet with
cornice and corner obelisks, are all of 1827; round-headed west window
with raised keystone and imposts has cast-iron Y-tracery with transoms;
above is a narrow rectangular slit (?medieval) and to the belfry stage
4 openings with plain Y-tracery and wooden louvres. Nave and chancel
in one. The west wall on the south side (which protrudes slightly from
the tower) appears to be medieval, but all the rest is Trubshaw's work;
5 bays, round-headed windows with tracery as in the west window; in
the second bay from the west (south side) a plain pedimented doorway;
the East window is different - a blocked tripartite opening with lunette
above; moulded eaves cornice with obelisks at the corners and a small
cross on a globular base to the east gable. Interior: round tower arch
(1827) filled by organ. Good C17 pulpit with blank arches and rosettes
above; some C17 woodwork is also incorporated in a prayer desk on the
north side of the early C19 altar rails; tub-shaped font (C12?) on a
late C19 base; all..the other fittings are of this latter or more
recent date. Monuments: brass tablets on the north wall to Francis
Carlose (died 1722) and Elizabeth Lander (died 1764). B.O.E., p.96.


Listing NGR: SJ8129437760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.