History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Campsey Ash, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1522 / 52°9'7"N

Longitude: 1.4044 / 1°24'15"E

OS Eastings: 632992

OS Northings: 255903

OS Grid: TM329559

Mapcode National: GBR WPQ.1WM

Mapcode Global: VHM80.95BF

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Last Amended: 25 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285191

Location: Campsey Ash, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Campsey Ash

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Campsea Ashe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Campsey Ash

Listing Text

CAMPSEY ASH MILL LANE
TM 35 NW
2/18 Church of St. John the
16.3.66 Baptist
(Formerly listed under General)
GV II*
Parish Church. C14: much restored in the late C18 and C19. Random flint and
rubble walls with stone quoins to stepped buttresses. West tower has flush
work to battlemented parapet with initials; flushwork also to base. 3 stage
tower has louvred bell openings to four sides. The nave and chancel have
slated roofs; that of the chancel is lower and of steeper pitch. All windows
are of C18 and C19 in Decorated style with the exception of one east window in
the chancel with C15 glass depicting the armorial arms of Bishop Goldwell,
Bishop of Norwich, Thomas de Brotherton and Thomas Mowbray. The south porch
has C14 doorway with 2 centred pointed arch. Tower has doorway with shields
and fleurons in arch order and frieze of flushwork over. Interior has original
piscina in south wall of chancel. There is a brass on the nave floor of
Alexander Inglishhe, Rector 1504. The font is C14: octagonal with quatrefoils
and blank arches.


Listing NGR: TM3299255903

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.