This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1907 / 52°11'26"N
Longitude: 0.8571 / 0°51'25"E
OS Eastings: 595387
OS Northings: 258565
OS Grid: TL953585
Mapcode National: GBR RH3.MHL
Mapcode Global: VHKDL.S6ZF
Entry Name: Gedding Hall with Bridge Attached to South Side of Gatehouse
Listing Date: 15 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280816
Location: Gedding, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Gedding
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Gedding St Mary the Blessed Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GEDDING DRINKSTONE ROAD
TL 95 NE
3/63 Gedding Hall with bridge
- attached to south side of
Fragment of moated manor house; early C16, possibly for Sir Edward Chamberlain
(d.1541). Major additions of 1897 for Arthur S. Wakerley Esq., Red brick,
with crowstepped parapet gables to gatehouse. Plaintiled roofs: polygonal
gable chimneys of red brick. Prominent early C16 gatehouse with a
contemporary range to right. Attached corner tower and rear range both added
1897. Walls on east and south sides rise sheer from two arms of the moat.
Gatehouse: 2 storeys and attics. Large 4-centred arched gateway with C19
recessed blocking containing a window. Flanking the gateway, a pair of 3-
storey splayed bays with slender buttresses, and at 1st floor a cavetto-
moulded band containing a frieze of motifs resembling ballflowers. Each bay
has a gabled roof, possibly original, and on each side is a splayed garderobe
cantilevered over the moat. 2-light mullioned brick windows, each light with
a 4-centred arched head, the whole within a splayed square-headed recessed
frame, and plastered to simulate ashlar work. Casements with leaded glazing
(some windows are blocked and others have lost their plasterwork). At main
chamber level at 1st storey, the windows continue around 3 faces of the bays.
Over the gateway is a similar window of 4 lights and above it is a parapet.
The range to right is probably contemporary: 2 storeys, 3 windows. Some C16
mullioned windows, but most replaced by larger c19 casements, A doorway at
basement has external steps leading down to the moat. (An early c19 print
shows two large parapeted gablets, one with a finial at the apex). The tower
is of red brick with flat roof behind parapets. At mid-height is a diaper-
pattern frieze and in large figures "18 REBUILT 97", all in gault brick.
Mullioned windows, and a cupola roofed turret. Interior not examined. The
gatehouse is approached by a C19 wooden bridge linking with a brick jetty at
the outer bank of the moat: a low parapet on either side has terminal piers
bearing ball finials.
Listing NGR: TL9538758565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings