History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.169 / 52°10'8"N

Longitude: 0.9831 / 0°58'59"E

OS Eastings: 604097

OS Northings: 256499

OS Grid: TM040564

Mapcode National: GBR SJS.WYK

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.0R23

Entry Name: Old Farm House

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279869

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Built-Up Area: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS PARK ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/94 Old Farm House
-
- II

Farmhouse, c.1550-1570 with various additions of C17 and C19. 2 storeys and
attics. 3-cell plan originally with cross-passage entrance. Timber-framed
and roughcast. Plaintiled roof with axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in mid
C20 red brick. Mainly C20 casements. Glazed C20 entrance door in lean-to
conservatory. Typical late C16 framing: in the hall is a roll-moulded
bridging beam with leaf-stops (the joists said to be similarly moulded). Twin
service room doorways have rudimentary ogee heads. An original diamond-
mullioned window in a service room. A wide open fireplace in the hall has a
cambered lintel. Arch-windbraced close studding. Early C17 alterations
include several ovolo-mullioned windows (blocked), and a newel staircase with
associated cupboard whose door has turned balusters in the ventilation panel.
C17 butt-purlin roof. A wing attached to the original parlour was of 1½
storeys when added in C16 or C17. Further additions are of late C19 red
brick.


Listing NGR: TM0409756499

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.