This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3369 / 52°20'12"N
Longitude: -0.66 / 0°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 491399
OS Northings: 271823
OS Grid: SP913718
Mapcode National: GBR DY2.FZ1
Mapcode Global: VHFP5.HJZD
Entry Name: The Bell Inn Public House
Listing Date: 9 June 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040659
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233653
Location: Finedon, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9
Civil Parish: Finedon
Built-Up Area: Finedon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Finedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BELL HILL (West side)
The Bell Inn Public House
Farmhouse, now public house. Datestones RC/1598/MC, 1872 and 1072 (C19).
Probably altered bv E.F. Law for William Mackworth-Dolben.
Squared coursed ironston with plain-tile roof. H-shape plan. Two and three storeys. Main front of six-window range. C19 three-storey gabled porch to right of centre has semi-circular arch entrance with drip mould and keystone. Four-light stone-mullion oriel window above is supported on foliated brackets. Two-light stone mullion window above with drip mould. Two-window range to left of porch has C19 two and three-light stone mullions windows, those at first floor are gabled dormers. Roof on two levels. Three-window range to right of porch has C19 single and two-light stone-mullion windows with small gables above first floor windows. Five-light stone-mullion bow window to far right. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and ashlar stacks at ridge. Niche to right of porch has statue of Queen Edith, wife of Edward the Confessor. Inscription below oriel window "ER 1072 Tingdene Hostelre VR 1872" with coats of arms below. Flanking walls of porch have inscriptions "MDCCCLXXII" and Victoria egnante". Various carved heads and finials. Gable to rear left has datestone 1598. Rear elevation has casements under wood lintels.
Interior has some chamfered ceiling beams and room to left of entrance has open fireplace with bressumer. Said to be the oldest public house in England, licence transferred to present building in early C19.
Listing NGR: SP9139971823
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings