This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1322 / 52°7'56"N
Longitude: -0.9883 / 0°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 469344
OS Northings: 248697
OS Grid: SP693486
Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8Y1
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TNCS
Entry Name: The Post Office
Listing Date: 29 July 1970
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040863
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235181
Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Towcester
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
TOWCESTER WATLING STREET EAST
13/160 No.90 (The Post Office)
29/07/70 (Formerly listed as No.90)
Post office, formerly house. Dated 1799, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in
Flemish bond with flared headers, slate roof, brick ridge and end stacks.
Central staircase plan. 3-storey, 5-window range. Central 6-panel door with
fanlight, panelled reveals and timber surround with thin panelled pilasters and
brackets supporting deep moulded cornice. Windows have moulded rendered
surrounds. C20 windows to ground floor, 12-pane sashes to first floor and 9-pane
sashes to attic floor and stone sills with console brackets. Circular window
between ground floor left windows. Central bay breaks forward and has pediment
framing datestone in horizontal oval panel. Rendered plinth, storey bands,
moulded stone eaves cornice and string to base of pediment. Rendered chamfered
quoins to ends and central bay and stone-coped gables.
Listing NGR: SP6934448697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings