History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Ollerton and Boughton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2094 / 53°12'34"N

Longitude: -0.9854 / 0°59'7"W

OS Eastings: 467855

OS Northings: 368522

OS Grid: SK678685

Mapcode National: GBR 9G0.X94

Mapcode Global: WHFGT.TLXF

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 2 June 1977

Last Amended: 28 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241860

Location: Ollerton and Boughton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Ollerton and Boughton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ollerton with Boughton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Boughton

Listing Text

BOUGHTON CHURCH ROAD
SK 66 NE
(north side)
3/9 Church of
2.6,77 St. Matthew

G.V. II

Parish church. 1868. By J. Fowler of Louth in C13 Gothic
Revival style. Snecked ashlar and brick with ashlar dressings.
Slate roof. Chamfered and partly rendered plinth, sill band,
coped gables with crosses. Single ornate round stone gable
stack. Windows are mainly double Geometrical lancets with hood
moulds and stops. South west tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south
porch. Buttressed tower, 2 stages, has string course and
billeted eaves, and broach spire with 4 tiers of lucarnes. To
south, a chamfered light, and above, clock. To west, 2 chamfered
lights. Second stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with
Geometrical tracery. Buttressed nave, 4 bays, has on each side 3
double lancets. West end has 2 chamfered lancets and above,
round quatrefoil window. Chancel, 2 bays, has pair of corner
buttresses to south east and to east, stepped sill band. East
end has large triple lancet. South side has 2 double lancets and
to west, single buttress. Vestry, 2 bays, has decorative
kneelers. North side has to east, shouldered doorway with hood
mould, and to west, double lancet in square headed reveal. East
end has double lancet with, above, a round light. South porch,
engaged with tower and nave, has 2 corner buttresses and coped
gable with kneeler and remains of cross. South doorway has
chamfered opening with hood mould and stops. Interior has to
left, door to tower. South door has roll moulded reveal and hood
mould. Brick interior has cogged and blue brick sill band and
ashlar and blue brick window heads and bands. Billeted brick
wall plate. Aisleless nave has timber screen at west end and
scissor braced principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. West
windows have stained glass, C19. Chamfered polychrome brick
chancel arch has keeled roll moulded ashlar intrados, incised
small imposts and responds with conical moulded brackets,
dogtooth bands, marble shafts, square foliate capitals and impost
band with stops. Chancel north side has to west, organ recess
and to east, chamfered piscina with four centred arched head and
hood mould with stops. East end has gradine with 4 trefoil
headed moulded openings and trefoil headed crocketed tabernacle
with flanking marble shafts. East window has stained glass,
1869. South side has to east, single sedilia with scrolled
stops. Vestry/organ chamber has no architectural features.
Fittings include octagonal font with recessed ogee headed panels
and painted text, on moulded octagonal stem with water holding
base and square plinth with scallop corners. Octagonal ashlar
pulpit with crocketed trefoil headed recessed panels with marble
flanking shafts and hood moulds. Desk-type timber lectern with
traceried openings, on bracketed square chamfered stem.
Chamfered panelled benches, moulded and pierced stalls and desk,
C17 chip carved panelled chest with legs. Memorials include
chamfered recess containing brass to W. J. Pickin, 1869, marble
and slate war memorial tablet, 1918, and various brasses, C19 and
C20.


Listing NGR: SK6785568522

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.